Professional School Counselors are guided by the American School Counselor Association. ASCA provides a nice synopsis of what Elementary School Counselors do here. At Clayton Elementary, you will find the counselors serving students, families, and staff in the following ways:
- Classroom guidance lessons are provided in each homeroom class to compliment the SEL Curriculum about every three weeks. Academic, social / emotional, and career development are areas covered in lessons.
- Informal Lunch Bunches and Quick Care visits will be available to help build relationships to assist with student communication and support. Students can complete a Request to See the Counselor form to be included. Sometimes student from a classroom will be invited just to build relationships!
- SEL Boost Small Groups are available to boost learning in the social emotional domain. We will request parental consent for these small groups.
- Coordination of 504 Services is shared between the counselor and one of our assistant principals.
- Individual Counseling Support is available short-term for students who have an educational need, ie: the stress or problem is interfering with the ability to concentrate or learn in class.
- Parent and Teacher Consultation
- Coordination of SEL and No Place for Hate Activities